I knew Spoonflower had a bunting contest a while back so I thought I’d look there first when I decided to make a birthday bunting. I found several that I liked, but the moment I saw Inktree Press’s Birthday Bunting I knew that was it!
It won’t be hanging on the fireplace mantel on Birthday Day, but I need some more command hooks before I can hang it up for the party next weekend.
Happy… And a Hedgehog on an H.
I loved these little mushrooms. There are also teeny tiny ones on the D and one of the P letters.
Nothing like a waving gnome to add in some serious cuteness. :)
Here is the D with the little Deer. I love that all the letters have an object or animal that starts with that letter. You can also see the some of the red backing that I used.
I didn’t follow her directions exactly because I didn’t want a pinked edge, but one that was crisp and clean. So I cut a 1/4 inch seam allowance on each of the long sides of each triangle piece and sewed the backing to the front right sides together. After flipping at the short side opening I just ironed everything nice and flat and lined up all the letters and pinned them to the bias tape.
For a backing used some red fabric with white stars on some and red with white polka dots on others. I didn’t have enough of either to do all of them. Both backing fabrics were stash fabrics! I also had to buy the red bias tape, since I didn’t have nearly enough for the full length. It took almost the entire pack, 3 yards. I really wanted to bring out the little bits of red and make it more vibrant. I added some wide grosgrain ribbon to the ends for a little added tying length in a matching red. :)
The fabric came printed with triangles numbered 1st, 2nd, 3rd… up through 10th for attaching to the banner. I haven’t made them up yet, as I’m on a time crunch and my machine is going in for repairs tomorrow morning.
Most store bought banners are only good for a few uses before they get tattered looking. I love that we will be able to use this banner for years to come!